Monday, June 18, 2007

Lunch Box In Hindsight

It's only fair that I explain my son's lunchbox graffiti, instead of simply transcribing it. I was furious when I discovered it last Friday and blogged about it immediately after, before my breath had evened out.

The Lawyer goes to a K throught 8 school where the lunch break is broken up among grades. Simple enough, right? In an attempt to curb ant problems in the classrooms, teachers ask students to leave their lunch boxes outside. Based on the decent penmanship of the angry child or child on a dare that wrote that eery message on my son's stuff, I assume it was the work of an upper grade kid, probably from the 6-7-8 grade split.

My son briefly glanced the grafitti, enough to recognize the words "kill" and "fucker" and "fuck you." When he asked why someone would write that, I told him that teenagers don't have the best judgement, that they don't always make good choices and sometimes they are downright DUMB. I also told him that I had long washed his name out of his lunchbox from wiping it down daily, so it's likely that no one knew the lunchbox was his. I told him we'd show it to his teacher and deal with it from there.

From now on, The Lawyer is strictly a brown bag lunch kind of kid.

This doesn't have to be a massive deal unless we make it one. However, I think it's important that the lunch/recess teachers keep tabs on the lunch boxes, so no other kids, especially kindergarten kids, find four-letter word messages before their parents do. Furthermore, as my writer-mama friend said, the lunch boxes should be better supervised in case some twisted teenager decides to "put something" in someone's food (drugs, poison, etc.). Scary, I know. Possible, I'm positive.

Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

At 11:45 AM, Blogger ewe are here said...

I can't believe some rotten, twisted kid is allowed free access to all the other kids' lunch boxes/bags. The school really coulud find itself in deep doo-doo if the kids don't have a 'safe' place to leave their food...

 
At 2:42 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

First of all, I have serious reservations about curbing ant problems by leaving lunch boxes unattended. Ant problems are more likely caused by the crumbs on the floor or the waste baskets. And, as you have seen, unattended lunch boxes are vulnerable to being interfered with. A few ants is a lot more tolerable than a kindergartner experiencing his or her first LSD trip unawares and unwarned.

Have you brought this serious problem to the attention of the school? What was their response?

 
At 11:46 PM, Blogger floomph said...

Like others have said, I hope that you brought this to the attention of someone in the school. I so sorry that the lawyer would even have to see something like that at school, and that you would have to go through erasing it when he got home.

That is just sick, and no child or parent should have to go throught this, especially at this early of an age of a child.

 
At 11:19 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

It is nice post
Visit Links:
Packers and Movers Mumbai
Packers and Movers Andheri
Packers and Movers Airoli
Packers and Movers Borivali
Packers and Movers Bandra
Packers and Movers Kalyan
Packers and Movers Kharghar
Packers and Movers Kandivali
Packers and Movers Thane

 

Post a Comment

<< Home