Wednesday, June 27, 2007

I Miss Newborns (But Not Bad Enough to Have More of Them)

My son held my thumb until he fell asleep tonight as though he were a newborn. He surprised me by reaching his hand up to meet mine during a rare bedtime head-to-toe relaxation exercise.

Since The Lawyer was only two, we've used the same yoga meditation CD to help him wind down. I hope the astral background music and the narrator's hypnotic voice also ease his recurrent night terrors.

My little first-born, now big enough to play baseball wearing a real uniform on a real team with real rules and real fast pitches on a real field, gripped my thumb so tight tonight, just as he did when he arrived Feb. 15, 2001, filled with epidural fluids and a lusty spirit, naturally endowed with that amazing reflex, the Plantar grasp.

Labels:

5 Comments:

At 1:08 AM, Blogger Whit said...

Newborns are good. 18 months and up are good. It's that 14 month period in the middle that kills me.

 
At 5:18 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I disagree. Newborns are boring. All babies should be born at the age of six months

 
At 11:46 AM, Blogger CroutonBoy said...

I agree with Dan on this (although I like how you can take newborns to a bar and they won't fuss much) but still got a little misty thinking about how kids age...the cuteness is so fleeting. I might need to have my child frozen or something to preserve the current cheekiness...

 
At 8:36 PM, Blogger Gerri said...

my wife and I have a 3 1/2 month old beautiful baby girl, Samara. It is so nice having her around. Its our first and we have been learning a lot. She is a blessing.

 
At 12:14 AM, Anonymous Window Blinds said...

oh oh.. but thumb holding is changed from hands to toe is different thing.. nice..

 

Post a Comment

<< Home